The E. E. Cummings Society will sponsor two sessions at the 2023 American Literature Association conference in Boston (http://americanliteratureassociation.org). We invite proposals for papers on any aspect of Cummings’ life and/or work. Proposals that touch upon the following topics will be especially welcome:
- Political Cummings [e.g., “plato told,” “o to be in finland”] vs. the experimental imagist now-poet Cummings
- Cummings’ “philosophy of life,” Norman Friedman wrote, was “transcendental, romantic, prelapsarian, organicist, and individualistic” (Art 66). Discuss by examining specific works.
- (Camp Devens, the flu pandemic, The Enormous Room, Him, EIMI)
- Cummings’ poetry during and after WWII [50 Poems (1940), 1 x 1 (1944), and XAIPE (1950)]
- Cummings and the Classics, Western and/or Eastern.
- Cummings and Re-Vision [For some drafts of poems, see the Cummings Archive: http://cummingsarchive.org/ ]
Submit 250-400-word abstracts to Michael Webster (websterm at gvsu dot edu) by January 28, 2023.
For further information, consult the web page of the American Literature Association conference.