Drafts of “! // o(rounD)moon,how” (CP 722)
- The sheets are numbered in reverse (i.e. the first draft begins on sheet four, the final draft is found on sheet one).
- The sheets show roughly 27 drafts of the poem, depending on how much work constitutes a draft.
- The final draft is in pencil (sheet 1), and leaves out the exclamation mark, though the published draft includes it.
- Cummings returns to the first typed draft of the poem (sheet 4) and writes, in pencil, the capital letters R-O-U-N-D. The capital letters appear, in type, on the third sheet.
- Cummings adds the iconic “o” first with pencil.
- Cummings does not add the comma, semi-colon, and colon until the final draft on the first sheet, and he does so in pencil.
- On the second sheet, we see Cummings counting, and the published poem has one-syllable lines every other line.